Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Syntax for frame contains

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:55:52 -0000
On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 13:37, Greg Morris wrote:
> My fault, I was looking for Unicode data. How do you intend on handling
> Unicode? I tested with
>
> frame contains ff.ff.ff.a7.fd
> And this works great.
>
> I also tested with
> frame contains test
> This also works great as long as the data pattern is consistent
> (Non-Unicode) but of course fails with Unicode.
>
> I was unable to filter with the frame contains on any Unicode patterns.
> I tried T.e.s.t, T e s t, etc... with no luck.
>
> Suggestions? This really would make this feature more robust.,
>
> Greg

I'm going to have to add some kind of syntax for different text
encodings. Something like:

frame contains EBCDIC("test")

I don't know Unicode very well, so I don't know all the different types
of Unicode encodings, so I won't even guess as to what the names for
those "functions" would be, but they would follow the above example.

Of course, the exact syntax is open for discussion.

--gilbert