Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Ethereal Gripe

From: Laurent Deniel <laurent.deniel@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:46:37 +0200

Jason House wrote:
I think that a language for building packets should be done before a graphical editor. I would hope that the language(s) for specifying packets (or their attributes) would be more powerful than any graphical interface...

I agree. And once a powerful language (and associated conversion routines)
are defined, building a graphical interface is the logical next step.

Note that decoding of packets without any hardcoded C code within ethereal
was already discussed a long time ago (and this result in part in the creation
of the plugin API). Refer to the thread (there are some interesting historical
remarks) :

http://ethereal.netarc.jp/lists/ethereal-dev/199812/msg00035.html
http://ethereal.netarc.jp/lists/ethereal-dev/199812/msg00031.html

Laurent