Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] RT-Net plugin bug fix

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 18:08:36 -0700
On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 11:03:07AM +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:
> the attached patch has a bug fix for the RT-Net plugin.

Checked in.

> To fix the problem I changed the ARP dissector so one can use
> find_dissector("arp").

Perhaps, instead, the RT-Net dissector should register a dissector table
to be used with RTNET_TYPE_ values, and the IP and ARP dissectors should
register themselves in that table.

This would mean we'd have to make sure that a dissector registering
itself in a non-existent table doesn't cause a crash - of course, that
would then mean that a dissector registering itself in a table that
doesn't exist because there's a typo in the table name, rather than
because the table is from a plugin and that plugin isn't getting loaded,
would silently fail, with no indication of the error.

It'd also mean that the table of RTNET_TYPE_ values would have to be in
a header file in the main Ethereal directory, or a non-plugin dissector
would have to include a header from a plugin dissector, or the IP and
ARP dissectors would have to use raw numbers rather than RTNET_TYPE_
#defines to register themselves.