Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Changing data in the byte view ...

From: Tim Potter <tpot@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:04:25 -0700
On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:02:59AM +0200, Lo?c Minier wrote:

>  I am having a similar problem with a proprietary protocol here, I am
>  trying to change bytes of a captured packet and resend the packet.
>    The problem appears because of my protocol being on top of a
>  checksuming protocol.

It might be easy to provide a recalculate checksum function for
protocols that sign data, although this shouldn't affect the dissection
process.  I don't know of any protocols that refuse to dissect if the
checksum is incorrect.

>  However, it would be really great to have such a feature in
>  Ethereal!
>    In _my_ stack, each type of packets provides an encode() and
>  a decode() function, which permits the reencoding of modified
>  packets. What about a 'call_assemblor' in each packet-*.c that wants to
>  provide re-encoding?

That would be an incredibly large amount of work, although it would
allow you to edit packets in the dissector tree window instead of the
hex dump pane.

Tim.