Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] updated fakelink dissector + (new) README.fakelink

From: Andreas Sikkema <ramdyne@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:05:06 +0200
Richard Sharpe wrote:

> However, we still have to solve the issue of finding the dissector in
> Ethereal to dissect the PDUs that are in the file, esp WRT what you
> introduce below. Of course, that might mean that we need to restructure
> Ethereal and provide other ways to search for dissectors.

For each PDU in the file provide a "path" to a dissector?
Ethernet/IP/TCP/TPKT/H225.0

And provide each dissector with a handle to the dissector to be called
for its "data" member?

Unfortunately this will need knowledge of every PDU in the file.

Maybe do something like this:
Ethernet/IP/TCP/*

Meaning let TCP handle the rest from here (port based, heuristic)...

This strucure would let you be able to do
Ethernet/IP/PPP/IP/TCP/*

Above are all fictional examples off course ;-)

--
Andreas Sikkema