Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Ethereal Capture with Display Options Set "does not capture"

From: "M. J. Jerabek" <multivac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:55:16 -0700
ethereal 0.9.14
Compiled with GTK+ 1.3.0, with GLib 2.2.1, with WinPcap (version unknown)
with libz 1.1.4, with Net-SNMP 5.0.6, with ADNS
Running with WinPcap on Windows XP Service Pack 1, build 2600

winPcap V3.0

This is a wierd bug. I have installed Ethereal V0.9.14 replacing V0.9.13a running on Windows XP Professional with all patches, and the IPV6 statck installed and enabled. I run Ethereal by clicking on the desktop shortcut.

When running an Ethereal capture with both the "Update list of packets in real-time" and "automatic scrolling in live capture" capture display options set, Ethereal does not do the capture, and looks as if no capture was done. No captured data shows up in the captured data display area, and no capture dialog with protocol statistics, and runtimes is displayed.

If I do a capture with both of the previously mentioned capture display options "not set" the capture dialog pops up, and as packet are captures, the capture dialog statistics update. When I click on the "stop" button, the capture is finished, and the capture display area is updated with the captured data and the capture dialog goes away.

That is about it. I have also seen this bug happen on a freshly installed Windows 2003 Standard server.

Mike Jerabek

GIF image