Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problem displaying packets containing extendedcharacters in 0

From: "Greg Morris" <GMORRIS@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:19:45 -0600
I have noticed this before with NCP packets when a string was being displayed in the info column that contained non-printable characters. I changed the NCP dissector to parse the strings first before sending them to the column data. The tree will display correctly because of changes to strip out unicode characters. These changes happened sometime around 0.9.9 or so. Prior to that the same problem would occur in the tree as does the info column. I still see that some dissectors continue to have the problem but it seems to be fixed in most. The problem only occurs on Windows based platforms. The line will be blank instead of displaying the text and unprintable characters.

It would be my recommendation that we change the col_set_str, col_append_fstr, etc... functions to parse the string for unicode prior to entry into the column data. This way we don't have to go out and fix every dissector with the problem.

Greg

>>> <spamcontrol2@xxxxxxxxxxx> 8/12/2003 5:41:39 PM >>>
I've noticed that starting with 0.9.14 I have problems with captures
occasionally.  Packet summaries do not appear in the Info column, and in a
separate window I see the following errors:

(ethereal.exe:1328): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_text_size: gdk_nmbstowchar_ts failed
(ethereal.exe:1328): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_win32_draw_text: gdk_nmbstowchar_ts failed

One set of these messages seem to appear per packet that has a problem.

I've only noticed this in Windows (Win2k and WinXP, and on multiple systems),
and do not have this problem with 0.9.13.  I know that I don't have these
problems in Linux with 0.9.14, at least with GTK 1.2.10.

I've only noticed this with SMB packets, and I believe it's with all packets
that contain strings with extended characters (in one case, 0x00e4) that would
appear in the Info column.  These same strings appear to display in the tree,
except that the suspected characters do not display.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Could this be a quirk with GTK 1.3 in general, or
the Windows port of GTK 1.3?

I can provide traces if anyone would like an example.

Ian