Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] 802.11

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:27:08 -0700 (PDT)

You've sent that patch to patches@xxxxxxxxxxx, right?  (If not, do so.)

> I'm able to use
> ethereal to see that traffic, but I've found a few bugs in the dissector.
>
> Enclosed is a patch that fixes most of them and adds missing info. Do I
> have to talk with someone to get it integrated in the code?

Well, the patch doesn't apply to the current version of the dissector
without some errors.  The author of that dissector recently sent some
changes to ethereal-dev, which fixed a number of bugs, so some of the
bugs you found might already have been fixed - you should probably get
the latest version of the dissector and try that, and then make changes
to that version and submit a patch against that version.

If you have automake and autoconf and Python (and probably a number of
other tools not necessarily needed to build a standard Ethereal
distribution) installed, you can just get the current source via
anonymous CVS - see

	http://www.ethereal.com/development.html#anoncvs

or, if you can't use anonymous CVS because, for example, you're behind a
firewall that blocks it, you can get one of the nightly CVS snapshots -
see

	http://www.ethereal.com/development.html#snapshots

Or you can get the current CVS version and just drop the 802.11
dissector from it into your existing source - that should work, and
would mean you wouldn't need to install those additional tools.