Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] First version of text2pcap is now available

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 15:29:18 -0700 (PDT)
> > You may want to update the top level Makefile.nmake file, to build it on
> > Windows as well.
>
> Okay. I don't have any way to actually do this, so can somebody do a test
> build on Windows before I check in?

I could perhaps try it this evening, but I'd have to plug my upstairs
phone line at home into the modem, configure Windows for dial-up
networking, and do a 56KB "cvs update" first.

With any luck, the *other* modem (the one with "Alcatel ADSL 1000" on
the case) will be working again this Saturday.

Perhaps somebody else also has a Windows build environment set up?

> Also, how is the documentation built for Windows?

Currently, it's not - we could, I guess, turn POD into HTML.

> > If your dump has only IP packets, and no link-layer headers, you could
> > just make it a DLT_RAW libpcap file, with the "-l" flag.
>
> I didn't know about this feature. Do you think it's worth removing the support
> for the fake Ethernet headers altogether? Or should I just make a note in the
> documentation? What I really need for my application is a fake IP header.

I'd just make a note in the documentation; other people might want to
turn non-IP packets into libpcap files.