Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] libnsl, libsocket

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 12:57:03 -0700 (PDT)
> The libnsl,libsocket-dependency is a real nightmare. On many SysVR4 systems,
> libsocket.so needs libnsl.so but the symbol gethostbyname() is in libsocket.so
> and not in libnsl.so where we check for it in acinclude.m4.

Which SVR4 systems are those?  It's in "-lnsl" in SunOS 5.6, which, I
suspect, probably means it's in "-lnsl" in the original AT&T SVR4
releases.

The current code was stolen from autoconf's AC_PATH_XTRA macro; if
there's a problem with it in our configure script, there's also a
problem with it in autoconf.

You might want to check whether anything has been done about it in the
current CVS tree for autoconf, and see whether there are any bug reports
on it, or any mail about that problem; see

	http://sources.redhat.com/autoconf/

for information on that.