Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Protocol Hierarchy Statistics

From: "Gilbert Ramirez" <gram@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 21:15:08 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "C. L. McAvaney" <chrismc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2001 8:50 PM
Subject: [Ethereal-dev] Protocol Hierarchy Statistics

> I was just trying this new (?) feature with a protocol that we use
> and it seems to cause an assertion to be invoked.
>
> ** ERROR **: file proto_hier_stats.c: line 91 (process_node): assertion
failed: (finfo->hfinfo->parent == -1)

The assert in question,

 /* Assert that the finfo is related to a protocol, not a field. */
 g_assert(finfo->hfinfo->parent == -1);

makes sure that all the nodes at the top level are protocol nodes.
Have you attached a field node directly to the top proto_tree?

> With my protocol, here are some "upper layered" protocols that I have
written
> but are not added to the dissector/handoff set.  I was wondering if this
> could be the cause of the problem?
>
> Also when I was trying to read a libpcap format file I got the following
> assertion:
> ** ERROR **: file proto.c: line 1472 (alloc_field_info): assertion failed:
(hfindex >= 0 && hfindex < gpa_hfinfo->len)

I believe hfindex, your field or protocol, is not initialized.

--gilbert