Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] LUA support for compressed protocols

From: chuck c <bubbasnmp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 06:48:05 -0500
Improve documentation for tvbrange:uncompress, and add similar methods for other compression algorithms

Is it a matter of adding Lua support for one of the existing compression algorithms (https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/blob/master/epan/tvbuff.h)?

On Thu, Jun 1, 2023 at 3:07 AM Ariel Burbaickij <ariel.burbaickij@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Chuck, all,
yes, it is not a bad starter, indeed,  the key line in this context is this one, of course:

            if proto_zip.prefs.decompress and comp_method == 8 then
                local data_tvb = tvb(offset, data_len):uncompress("Decompressed data")

so, it operates on DEFLATE (method 8 as per ZIP spec) method by default. Which leads to the next question: can/should  functions in LUA, uncompress in this case, be overridden, it is a generic term but I guess you got an idea -- same name/access to tvb but different functionality,  as in my specific case it is for sure not what is used for compression ?

Kind Regards
Ariel Burbaickij