Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] extraction of files from SSL and TCP streams automatically

From: Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 15:35:36 +0000
On 180509-10:15+0200, Peter Wu wrote:
> On Tue, May 08, 2018 at 08:45:55AM +0000, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
> > So when did Wireshark/Tshark get the ability to extract objects from streams?
>
> Wireshark has this feature since 2007 as far as I can see. Tshark only
> recently gained this feature (in 2.4 as I said).
Which makes my wondering around to learn how to extract files from SSL-decrypted TCP-streams, while
not knowing about that feature early, much less severe...

Wireshark itself is irreplaceable, but when it comes to the way to do some
things with it, like extacting objects, where the only way (as far as I
understand) to do it in Wireshark is to click around repeatedly in sessions as
many times as there are files, very unappealing...
> > So what would be the commands to issue, then, on the trace that I offered, and
> > which my stream-cont.pl on streams produced from that trace with my
> > tshark-streams.sh, extracted all the files out from, as I show on that
> > explanation page of mine at:
> >
> > https://www.croatiafidelis.hr/foss/cap/cap-180505-schmoog-referendum/
>
> Without reading the whole thing, this tshark command sets the TLS key
> log file, reads the pcap, hides dissection output and saves extracted
> HTTP objects to the "files" directory.
>
>     tshark -ossl.keylog_file:dump_180505_0342_gdO_SSLKEYLOGFILE.txt \
>         -r dump_180505_0342_gdO.pcap -q --export-object http,files/
>
> The result is 53 files.

Sounds so great! You must have been one of the devs that contributed it... I
bet you were!

> --
> Kind regards,
> Peter Wu
> https://lekensteyn.nl

Thank you most sincerely and most gladly.

Still busy with other obligations, but as soon as I can, I'm make a sequence
page and assess how well Tshark does it. I bet it does it great!

--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia