Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] duplicate protocol name - DOCSIS Vendor Specific Encodings

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 19:38:03 -0800
On Feb 28, 2018, at 6:44 PM, jungle boogie <jungleboogie0@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> While I can now successfully build wireshark, I cannot actually run and open the application.

From your previous emails, I'm assuming this is on Ubuntu.

> Here am I attempting to open from the cli:
>
> $ wireshark
> 18:43:10.985          Err  Duplicate protocol name "DOCSIS Vendor Specific Encodings"! This might be caused by an inappropriate plugin or a development error.
> Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)
>
> What's causing this? I've doing a make distclean and re-configured.

2.5.x now has the DOCSIS dissector built in; it's probably somehow finding a DOCSIS plugin.

If you've installed it (as I'm guessing might be the case, given that you're not explicitly running "./wireshark" or "run/wireshark" or "build/run/wireshark"), then, if you already had an installed version, and the new version was installed on top of it, the install process probably left behind the old plugin.  Check whether there's a "docsis.so" under the installation directory for plugins and, if so, remove it.