Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark, Ubuntu, and mystery UDP packets

From: Stéphane Charette <stephanecharette@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 03:53:29 -0700
This has little to do with Wireshark, or VB for that matter (nice crosspost),
but with screen replication. There is some display sharing service running which
seems to multicast your screen onto the network.

(What crosspost?  You mean my question on the forum?)

Not only do I not have any sort of screen sharing on my desktop, but the UDP packet stream only happens when I start a packet capture, or when I start a VirtualBox guest.  As soon as I shutdown the packet capture, or the VB guest, the packet stream goes back down to zero.  (Looking at "System Monitor" and "iftop".)  If it was caused by some sort of screen share, then the stream would always be there, not only when I run Wireshark or VB.

Stéphane