Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark, Ubuntu, and mystery UDP packets

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 11:04:50 +0000 (GMT+00:00)
Hi all!

FWIW:  232.0.0.0/8 is the  Source-Specific Multicast block.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/multicast-addresses/multicast-addresses.xhtml

Whatever system is meant to receive that stream can - within reason - be expected to support IGMPv3; else it might not be able to subscribe to that stream properly. Might helpo with the research on the surrounding systems in your network.

Other thing that springs to mind:

Both Virtualbox and Wireshark capture start set the NIC to promiscuous mode, don't they? That's something that might be in common between VBox and capture.

Depending on the network infrastructure you are connected to, the packets you capture might not even be your own. If you have access to the LAN switchport counters, be sure to check if the sustained 6Mpbs stream is in- or outbound from the switch port, and if it comes and goes with VBbox or capture being active or not, or if it is permanent.

Double-Check: Does the source MAC in the received frames match your NIC's address?

best regards

Marc