Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] summing DeltaT in one direction

From: Stuart Kendrick <skendric@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 11:15:43 -0700
I would like to calculate how much time the Client and the Server spend turning around frames.

Client ------- Switch ------- Server

              sniffer

In this example, Client is using SMB to copy a file to Server.

I'm imagining that I can calculate the Server's contribution as follows:
tshark -r foo.pcap -Y tcp.srcport==445 -qz io,stat,0,SUM(tcp.time_delta)tcp.time_delta
| IO Statistics                                |
|                                              |
| Interval size: 44.1 secs (dur)               |
| Col 1: Frames and bytes                      |
|     2: SUM(tcp.time_delta)tcp.time_delta     |
|----------------------------------------------|
|              |1                  |2          |
| Interval     | Frames |   Bytes  |    SUM    |
|----------------------------------------------|
|  0.0 <> 44.1 |  50069 | 50551304 | 44.145992 |

And the Client's contribution in this way:
tshark -r foo.pcap -Y tcp.dstport==445 -qz io,stat,0,SUM(tcp.time_delta)tcp.time_delta
| IO Statistics                                |
|                                              |
| Interval size: 44.1 secs (dur)               |
| Col 1: Frames and bytes                      |
|     2: SUM(tcp.time_delta)tcp.time_delta     |
|----------------------------------------------|
|              |1                  |2          |
| Interval     | Frames |   Bytes  |    SUM    |
|----------------------------------------------|
|  0.0 <> 44.1 |  50069 | 50551304 | 44.145992 |

(1) Now, the fact that both incantations report precisely the same result seems suspicious to me ... particularly since using
an IO Graph gives me different results for the Server side calculation:
Filter: tcp.srcport==445 Calc:SUM(*)tcp.time_delta Style:FBar
I'm claiming that this is a bug ... and have filed it as such ... but now I'm doubting my understanding of how -z io,stat[...] works
==> Can anyone see an error in my approach?  Or does this actually look like a bug?

[Screen shot of IO Graph approach inserted here]

(2) Does anyone have a better (or different) way of calculating the same thing, i.e. how much 'time' the Client and Server have each contributed?

--sk

Stuart Kendrick
FHCRC