Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Regarding TCP Previous Segment Lost

From: Stuart Kendrick <skendric@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:53:16 -0700
Hi Zach,

I have seen a TCP stack get confused about TCP Sequence numbers, cruising along fine for hours (long-lived connections) and then suddenly incrementing TCP ACK not by a few hundred bytes, as one would expect by the size of the TCP payload in the previous frame, but by ~1.2GB, in the example I'm reviewing.  The two sides of the TCP connection would get stuck for hours on this one frame, with the server (buggy TCP stack) eventually terminating the connection.  This went on for at least a year or so ... gradually increasing in frequency from once every week or two to multiple times per day.

We ended up calling the manufacturer of the TCP stack.  Turns out they had identified and fixed this bug a just few weeks earlier; we installed the patch, and TCP went back to performing reliable arithmetic.

So there's one scenario which would result in the behavior you're seeing -- I expect that there are many others.

hth,

--sk