Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Versions ?

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 22:43:29 +0100
On 2011-12-30 18:44, stan wrote:

I have a number of Ubuntu workstations that I use at work. I keep these at the latest Ubuntu LTS version, which is presently 10.04. I have a contracot working for me who has installed Wireshark on his Windoze laptop. I was comparing some captures with him reoate to DNP, and much to my suprsie his
version seems to do a better job of understanding these packets.
Checking I realized that the version of Wireshark that he has is a later version than I have, even though I update my machines on an almost daily basis.

How can I make certain I have a current version of Wireshark on my
Ubuntu LTS machines?

Hi,

You do so by making sure to update from the Ubuntu channels. That still leaves the question who defines what 'latest version' means? The Ubuntu developers have frozen their Wireshark package at release 1.2.7, with additional patches
maintained by them.
So, in the context of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, you have the latest release. Upstream, that is the Wireshark developer group, has released newer versions, which will
eventually be packaged for newer Ubuntu distributions.

One option is to tap a newer software channel, using apt pinning (at least that's
what Debian uses).

As already suggested, you could opt to build your own Wireshark, but be aware that it depends on various libraries, which may not be available or not at the right
release in your distribution.

PS: You may want to invest in installing a spell checker. It's true just the first and last letter of a word need to be in the right place, and one can leave of all
vowels, but it makes reading your email tough, unpleasant maybe.

Thanks,
Jaap