Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] cannot capture packets from wifi router (Netgear WNDR3700)

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 15:21:14 -0800
On Nov 30, 2011, at 2:58 PM, Philip Anil-QBW348 wrote:

> I am connected to my wifi network (Netgear WNDR3700) using ubuntu 10.10. The NIC is Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN.The protection is WPA2-auto. I want to capture packets from it.
>
> $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor

If I do a Web search for

	ubuntu 10.10 "monitor mode"

I find a bunch of people reporting various problems.  Perhaps there are either driver problems with Ubuntu 10.10 or a problem with userland code "helpfully" "fixing" connectivity problems due to turning monitor mode on by turning it back off.

If I do a Web search for

	ubuntu 10.10 centrino 6200 "monitor mode"

I find

	http://askubuntu.com/questions/45116/my-wireless-card-is-stuck-on-channel-1-when-im-trying-to-use-aireplay-ng

Apparently the problem they had was due to an improperly-patched (probably meaning "unpatched") driver; one poster also suggests that network-manager might be acting "helpfully" here.