Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Bytes on wire/bytes captured for TCP traffic is larger than MT

From: Mark Ryden <markryde@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 16:13:34 +0200
Hello,

 I am sniffing with wireshark TCP iperf traffic on a machine where the
NIC has an ordinary NIC.
The MTU of the NIC on the client and the server is the default value (1500).

I see in the sniff that some of the frames have (2962 bytes on
wire,2962 bytes captured)
and also that the ip header Total length is 2948. My question is: how can it be
that I am getting size of a packet which is almost twice the size of MTU ?
AFAIK, you cannot receive/send packets larger than the MTU without
fragmentation,
and what I see does not show fragmentation.

Rgs,
	Mark Ryden