Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Not seeing all traffic

From: "Dave Sink" <dwsink@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 15:55:30 -0400

I am not sure what is going on, I have read a lot of things and I must not be setting things up right. I have done a lot of wired networks but this is my first go on a WiFi network.

My basic setup is this:

Check Point WiFi Switch

Alfa Awus036h RTL8187

Ubuntu 10

I did the "updates" on the Aircrack-ng site (http://forum.aircrack-ng.org/index.php?topic=5755.0 and http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=r8187).

Once I rebooted a few times for the updates, i then run Airmon-ng start wlan0, and then i do get the Mon0 in Iwconfig. Then I fire up wireshark on Mon0.

what I am seeing is the traffic from the internet like Google to a local computer on my LAN (other than my own, which I do see). I am not seeing from a computer on my LAN to the gateway. It seems like I should be able to see the same things on the WiFi as I do on wire. For example if my gateway is 192.168.125.1 and I have a computer on 192.168.125.10 I should see packets from 192.168.125.10 to 192.168.125.1, and "return" packets from 192.168.125.1 to 192.198.125.10.

Am I missing a step, a patch or something?

Thanks,

Dave