Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] I can't sniff my LAN

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:42:14 -0700
On Jul 28, 2010, at 12:18 PM, Darkk Nights wrote:

> I think that's a hub with switch capabilities.

"Obedece a operação Full Duplex e Flow Control do padrão IEEE 802.3x."

I don't think hubs can *do* full duplex Ethernet.  I don't have IEEE 802.3x handy (I think it costs money, as it's not the latest standard), but it was incorporated into more recent editions of 802.3, and 802.3-2008 says:

	1.1.2.2 Full duplex operation

	Full duplex operation allows simultaneous communication between a pair of stations using point-to-point media (dedicated channel). Full duplex operation does not require that transmitters defer, nor do they monitor or react to receive activity, as there is no contention for a shared medium in this mode. Full duplex mode can only be used when all of the following are true:

		a)	The physical medium is capable of supporting simultaneous transmission and reception without interference.
		b)	There are exactly two stations connected with a full duplex point-to-point link. Since there is no con- tention for use of a shared medium, the multiple access (i.e., CSMA/CD) algorithms are unnecessary.
		c)	Both stations on the LAN are capable of, and have been configured to use, full duplex operation.

	The most common configuration envisioned for full duplex operation consists of a central bridge (also known as a switch) with a dedicated LAN connecting each bridge port to a single device. Repeaters as defined in this standard are outside the scope of full duplex operation.

I think what you have is a switch.

"A Arquitetura store-and-foward filtra os fragmentos e os erros CRC do pacote."

Store-and-forward is more switch-like than hub-like.

(No, I don't read Portuguese, but it's not too hard to infer what some technical specifications in a document in a Romance language says if your native language is a Teutonic language that got a huge injection of French about a thousand years ago from a bunch of Norsemen who'd ended up in France. :-))