Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] One NIC on public side

Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 11:09:04 -0500
On Thu, 13 May 2010 07:55:40 -0700, Gianluca Varenni wrote:
> On NIC1 you can totally disable the TCP/IP stack. Go to the properties of
> that network connection, in the list of services/protocols bound to that
> NIC, uncheck TCP/IP.

Ok, I've unchecked TCP/IP but still have others such as MS Client, QoS and of course, the network monitors such as VMON1 and Network Monitor Driver.

I was under the impression that without a viable IP on the NIC, it could never be accessed from remote but could be used in promiscuous mode to read traffic.

So, disabling some of these protocols will allow me to safely connect it on the public side again then?

> This will still allow you to capture, but there won't be any protocol bound
> to that NIC apart from the WinPcap driver.

One last thing, is the WinPcap driver something I should see in the list of protocols?