Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Bug reporting howto?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:21:39 -0800
On Mar 11, 2010, at 10:43 AM, Chad Dailey wrote:

> All the Bugzilla links in the docs appear to be broken.

As per the bug you filed, that was a problem with your proxy, right?

> In addition, when I try to report a bug, I don't get any pulldown boxes or otherwise to direct me to a product (dumpcap) that isn't taking command line options properly.

The "First, you must pick a product on which to enter a bug." page offers, as the choices:

	Web sites: 	The Wireshark web sites, including the www.wireshark.org, wiki.wireshark.org, and anonsvn.wireshark.org. Problems with other network services such as Subversion, mail, FTP, and rsync should be reported here as well.

	Wireshark: 	The Wireshark network protocol analyzer, including the Wireshark GUI, TShark text-mode analyzer, dumpcap, editcap, mergecap, text2pcap, and other utilities.

so you would file it on "Wireshark".  The choices amount to "Web sites" and "Software" - if it's a bug in any of our Web sites, file it against "Web sites", otherwise file it against "Wireshark".

The "Component" choices are:

	Documentation		The documentation that comes with Wireshark.
	Extras			Extra utilities that ship with Wireshark: editcap, mergecap, capinfos, text2pcap, etc.
	TShark			The TShark text-mode analyzer
	Wireshark		The Wireshark GUI

Perhaps the "Extras" list should put "dumpcap" first, but that's the right component for dumpcap.