Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Regarding TCP Options

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 18:16:44 -0800
On Mar 9, 2010, at 9:20 AM, Karthik Balaguru wrote:

> I have been continuing the process of analysis by using a latest
> version of wireshark. I just now verified with Version 1.2.5 (SVN Rev
> 31296) on Windows OS, it seems to display the 'TCP options' field
> properly. But, I wonder why the 0.99.0 version (linux) does not
> display it.  Just as you have conveyed that it is displaying for
> 0.99.6(Linux) version, i too think that it should work for 0.99.0
> version also.

Perhaps there was a bug in 0.99.0 that caused it not to display the TCP options correctly for your particular trace?  (The code to display TCP options has been in Ethereal/Wireshark for a long time, so it's not that 0.99.0 can't display TCP options.  There might be *particular* TCP options that it doesn't know about, but it should at least be able to display them as raw data.)

The current version of Wireshark on *ALL* platforms is 1.2.6; 0.99.0 - and even 0.99.6! - are very old (0.99.0 dates back at least 3 years - it's so old that it wasn't even called "Wireshark" then, it was still "Ethereal").