Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Pcap file isn't a capture file in a format TShark understands

From: kahou lei <kahou82@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:47:57 -0800
What happens on tchui1-rhel3 if you run the command "tshark -v" - *not* "./tshark -v", just "tshark -v" - from a directory other than the Wireshark source directory?

It is the same:

[thot@tchui1-rhel3 thot]$ tshark -v
TShark 0.99.7

Copyright 1998-2007 Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> and contributors.

Compiled with GLib 2.2.3, with libpcap 0.7.2, with libz 1.1.4, without libpcre,
with SMI 0.4.5, without ADNS, without Lua, without GnuTLS, without Gcrypt, with
MIT Kerberos.
NOTE: this build doesn't support the "matches" operator for Wireshark filter
syntax.

Running on Linux 2.4.21-32.ELsmp, with libpcap (version unknown).

Built using gcc 3.2.3 20030502 (ASPLinux 3.2.3-59asp).

[thot@tchui1-rhel3 thot]$ tshark -r udp.pcap -T pdml
tshark: The file "udp.pcap" isn't a capture file in a format TShark understands.

One thing that I just notice is that the tshark is "manually copied" (not using RPM, YUM, etc) along with the necessary .so files into a specific directory. Then the admin set the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH which point to that specific directory.

Moreover, the machine is installed with ethereal too (using RPM) and it returns the same thing:

[thot@tchui1-rhel3 thot]$ tethereal -v
tethereal 0.10.10
Compiled with GLib 1.2.10, with libpcap 0.7.2, with libz 1.1.4, without libpcre,
without UCD-SNMP or Net-SNMP, without ADNS.
NOTE: this build doesn't support the "matches" operator for Ethereal filter
syntax.
Running with libpcap (version unknown) on Linux 2.4.21-32.ELsmp.

[thot@tchui1-rhel3 thot]$ tethereal -r udp.pcap -T pdml
tethereal: The file "udp.pcap" isn't a capture file in a format Tethereal understands.

I know it is a kinda weird setup...but do you have any idea?

Thanks,
Kahou