Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] USB sniffing / packet size

From: Yuval Levy <wireshark10@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:25:32 -0500
Hello there,

newbie here, trying to use Wireshark to sniff / rever^H^H^H^H^H debug USB
communication between a SONY digital camera and a PC running Kubuntu Linux
9.10.

after initial headaches / freezes due to the nVidia chipset of my first PC, I
successfully sniffed some USB packets (mouse) with Wireshark (binary installed
from Ubuntu's repository) on an Intel chipset / Atom motherboard.

I start wireshark from a Konsole window and run it as root (the only way I
found to give it access to the interfaces).

When I turn the camera on, Wireshark shows some communication, then it
segfaults after eight warnings that the "file contains a record that's not
valid".

When rather than displaying on screen I try to save to file, the file is saved
but I get an error message when I open it, saying that the capture file
appears to be damaged or corrupt and a packet is 65584 bytes long, more than
the maximum packet. I can see the data in the file though, just not the
corrupt packets.

Is this normal/expected?

thanks for any pointers / help.

Yuv