Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] USB sniffing / packet size

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 23:11:36 -0700
On Jan 21, 2010, at 6:25 PM, Yuval Levy wrote:

> I start wireshark from a Konsole window and run it as root (the only way I
> found to give it access to the interfaces).

See: http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/PrivilegeSeparation

Typically, you just need to set dumpcap to be setuid root and then it will drop privileges when done opening the interfaces.  Wireshark/tshark running as a normal user will then communicate with dumpcap running as root (and then back to your username too).

Steve