Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capturing stops although there is still network traffic

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 20:08:26 -0700

On Mar 13, 2009, at 2:42 AM, Michael Naugk wrote:

with my new machine I have a strange problem when using wireshark:
I start capturing and I see frames get counted in the capture info dialog. But after some frame, it stops counting and it looks like there are no more frames sent in the network, but there are! The network card shows a link and the receive led is blinking. The number frames are captured are very different, sometimes only 150, sometimes 10000, sometimes it did not stop before I press
stop.

Is dumpcap still running when the traffic stops arriving?

What happens if, for example, you try running dumpcap from the console, or try running tcpdump?

Are you using ring buffers?