Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Capturing stops although there is still network traffic

From: Michael Naugk <zless@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:42:08 +0100
Hi,

with my new machine I have a strange problem when using wireshark:
I start capturing and I see frames get counted in the capture info dialog. But
after some frame, it stops counting and it looks like there are no more frames
sent in the network, but there are! The network card shows a link and the
receive led is blinking. The number frames are captured are very different,
sometimes only 150, sometimes 10000, sometimes it did not stop before I press
stop.

I capture frames in an Ethernet POWERLINK (EPL) network, so I get about 5000
frames in a second. I am using the same network card as in my old machine,
where it worked very well. I also tried another network card - same problem. I
tried wireshark versions 1.0.4 and 1.1.2 - same problem.

I am using openSUSE 11.1 with kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default #1 SMP x86_64.

Anyone an idea what else I can try?
Thanks in advance!

Kind regards
Michael