Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] How to change the version string

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 13:58:19 -0800
Martin d Anjou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have made a patch to my local copy of wireshark and I'd like to know how
> I can change the version string being reported when people go in the
> Help... About as well as the one on the command line when people type
> wireshark --version or -v. So far, I've only been able to change the one
> in about_wireshark_page_new.
>
> What is the right place to change the version string?

Create a file called "version.conf" in your top-level Wireshark development
directory with the following contents:

----
# Modify the version string in the about box, etc.
enable: 1
format: Martin d Anjou %Y%m%d%H%M%S

# Modify package names
pkg_enable: 1
pkg_format: Martin_d_Anjou_%#
----

Then, run "perl make-version.pl -p". This will update config.nmake and
configure.in with your package name modifications. Running the script without
"-p" (which happens during the build process) updates svnversion.h, which is
reflected within the application.

You can timestamp the version settings with normal strftime() format strings, or
with "%#", which uses the current SVN revision.