Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capture Filter

From: "Ryan Zuidema" <Ryan.Zuidema@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:42:26 -0700

Hi Michael, there can be many reasons you aren’t seeing what you expect. In order of importance:

First: wireshark will only capture what it sees on the wire. Make sure your capturing on a hub, or mirrored/span/monitor port on the switch.

Second: Be sure to check the “capture in promiscuous mode” otherwise it will drop everything except what’s to/from your station.

Third: What capture filter string are you using? If you don’t filter at all do you get the intended traffic?