Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] [Wireshark-announce] What is a good average for malformed
From: Hansang Bae <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:52:01 -0400
> *Subject:* [Wireshark-announce] What is a good average for malformed
>  packets

Olivier Mugnier wrote:
I can say less than 1 percent on a Cat5 network with good switch....
For me should'nt be upper than 2 or 3 % on a low class network (low level hub)
after, you must have one hardware defective...
Just have a look on your capture where error come from... and try changing the net card.

WOW!!! less than one percent with a good switch? I would posit that you have to have a very crappy cable and a broken switch. There should be *NO* malformed packets on the network.
Also, there should not be any malformed packets even on a hub based
network.  You will see collision fragments (jam bits) but you shouldn't
see malformed packets.
--

Thanks,
Hansang