Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Capture hardware

From: Laurent Chouinard <laurent@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 16:35:53 -0400
Hi,

I need to capture the network data at one of my customer's location, but big laptops with power supplies, hubs, cables and everything else required to get a wireshark capture going is kind of a difficult problem physically.

So I ask: Is there any hardware product whose sole purpose is to receive an ethernet cable and record everything internally? I would leave that device for a few days, then collect it, extract the data, and run my analysis through Wireshark.

So far the closest thing I found is a hardware data logger that is more of an electrical level logger to record actual electrical interferences into the signal than the ethernet frames. Me, I just need to record the ethernet frames so that I know what my device receives and what it transmits.

Thanks,

Laurent