Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capture hardware

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 14:46:15 -0700
Laurent Chouinard wrote:

So I ask: Is there any hardware product whose sole purpose is to receive an ethernet cable and record everything internally? I would leave that device for a few days, then collect it, extract the data, and run my analysis through Wireshark.

There are, I think, a number of companies that sell devices such as that, e.g. Solera (found by going to the "Sharkfest '08" page from the Wireshark home page, and looking at the list of Sharkfest sponsors):

	http://www.soleranetworks.com/products/capture-appliances.php

and NetScout, as mentioned in another reply:

	http://www.netscout.com/products/infinistream.asp

and (if I'm correctly interpreting what the devices do) Network Instruments:

	http://www.networkinstruments.com/products/gigabit/GigaStorProbe.html

and NetQoS:

	http://www.netqos.com/solutions/gigastor/index.html

and so on - see the list of vendors of "network monitoring and management software and appliances" at

	http://blog.opusinteractive.com/industry/interop-07-lots-of-opportunities/

I don't know how much those devices cost, though.