Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Distinguishing Ethernet II and 802.3 frames

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 10:21:45 -0800
Marcus Better wrote:

I'm running Wireshark on Linux 2.6.24 though (mac80211 stack). Can it give
me the 802.11 frames?

That probably depends on the adapter, but, as you're using the mac80211 stack, the driver for the adapter is probably reasonably modern, so, if the adapter supports monitor mode, the driver probably supports it as well.

What type of adapter do you have?

In monitor mode, you should get 802.11 headers. In promiscuous mode, you probably won't.