Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] registry edit for Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx GE NIC for Wireshark

From: Nelson Law <NLAw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 01:51:21 -0800

Dear All

For those who are using DELL’s series notebook, I have a question about the setting of the registry to enable this NIC to capture vlan information in Ethereal/WireShark.

I understood that I need to add a new registry to enable the BCM NetXtreme 5752 Gigabit Ethernet NIC to preserve the vlan header under Windows XP. The registry is PreserveVlanInfoInRxPacket with value = 1. I did it and I can see the 802.1Q header in my Ethereal/Wireshark but the rest of the packet is not decoded correctly. There is no such problem in Intel Chips NIC. Most of my testing PCs are Intel’s NICs, so I can configure the registry to capture the vlan information from the packet without any problem.

Here is the example after adding PreserveVlanInfoInRxPacket for BCM NetXtreme 57xx GE:

I can see the vlan information but the Organization Code is incorrect. This packet is the Extreme EAPS packet with organization code = 0x00e02b and Type=0x00bb. But now, the organization code is 0x000000 and type=0xaaaa after adding this registry – PreserveVlanInfoInRxPacket.

Wireshark version is Version 0.99.7 (SVN Rev 23910) and the NetXtreme Driver version is b57xp32.sys (10.62.0.0)

If I removed the PreserveVlanInfoInRxPacket, all the decodes are correct except I can’t see the vlan header.

Thanks

Nelson