Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Trace wifi

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 19:56:43 -0700
On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 01:46:42PM +1100, hce wrote:

> Does wireshark-0.99.6 include wifi 802.11 capture? I could not
> configure for it. Do I need a patch?

Are you trying to capture just your machine's data off the wireless
connection or the management traffic and other user's traffic?
Promiscious mode often needs to be turned off.  The capabilities depend
largely on the platform you're running on.  See:

  http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html#sec10
  http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/WLAN

If you're trying to capture *ALL* wireless data (other users, management
traffic, etc.) on Windows, the AirPcap products are a great add-on to
Wireshark:

  http://www.cacetech.com/products/airpcap_family.htm?utm_source=Wireshark&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=airpcap&utm_content=airpcap&utm_campaign=Wireshark_Product

Steve