Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Trace wifi

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 18:57:57 -0800
hce wrote:

Does wireshark-0.99.6 include wifi 802.11 capture?

Wireshark, by default, includes support for capturing packets using libpcap on UN*X and WinPcap on Windows. Whether it can capture 802.11 packets depends on libpcap, and the underlying packet capture mechanism it uses, on UN*X, and on WinPcap on Windows.

Whether libpcap, and the underlying packet capture mechanism it uses, or WinPcap, can capture 802.11 packets - and whether, when you capture those packets, you get packets with 802.11 headers, possibly including management and control packets as well as data packets, or you get data packets with Ethernet headers - depends on the OS on which you're capturing, the device on which you're capturing, and the configuration you've done.

See

	http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html#q8.7

	http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html#q8.8

	http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html#sec10