Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] FreeBSD & Running As User

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:47:42 -0700

On Sep 25, 2007, at 5:43 PM, Stephen Fisher wrote:

Did you also grant the group read rights to all bpf devices?  Does "ls
-l" reflect this? I usually granted my user read rights and changed the owner to myself. I would assume doing it with the group would work too, but I do not have a FreeBSD box handy with Wireshark on it to test that
with.

I forget whether that's what I did with my FreeBSD machine, but it's definitely what I do with all my OS X machines (unfortunately, OS X's devfs doesn't have any way to configure the ownership and permissions it gives devices, so you have to do it at boot time with a startup item, and that doesn't handle devices created after boot time).