Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Newbie question

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:23:22 +0200
On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 02:03:09PM -0400, Tom Maugham wrote:
> I have just installed Wireshark on a laptop which I want to use to monitor
> my home network. My setup is three desktops connected to a Westell 327W
> Verizon DSL wirless router. One desktop is hardwired and the other two and
> the laptop are wireless. The hard-wired desktop is using XP Pro SP2 and all
> the other desktops and the laptop are XP Home SP2.
>
> When I initiate Wireshark on the laptop it seems to see everything that is
> occurring on the laptop but not very much on the other PCs. Why is that? Am
> I expecting too much from Wireshark or do I not have it configured properly?

Have a look at http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/WLAN :

----- <quote> -----
 Capturing WLAN traffic on Windows depends on WinPcap and on the underlying network adapters and drivers. Unfortunately, most drivers/adapters support neither monitor mode, nor seeing 802.11 headers when capturing, nor capturing non-data frames.

 Promiscuous mode can be set; unfortunately, it's often crippled. In this mode many drivers don't supply packets at all, or don't supply packets sent by the host.

Also when you try to capture all the traffic on the PC with the hard-wired
connection, you won't see all the packets since the network is switched.
Have a look at http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/Ethernet for
more details on what traffic you are able to see on which type of
network-connections.

Hope this helps, Cheers,

Sake