Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Ethereal vs wireshark

From: "winter " <song_winter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 10:41:58 +0800

Hello, sirs,

What kind of tools can capture ethernet packets (such as UDP) fast enough on the Linux platform? Ethereal cannot fulfill my requirements.

I'm using packETH 1.4 to send packets.

I found that Ethereal cannot monitor all of the packets if I send 100000 (or more) packets (100 bytes per packet) consecutively with a delay between packets of 8 us (= 0.008 ms = 0.000008 s), i.e. at least some percent of the packets cannot be captured in Ethereal.

96172/100000 = 96.172%, >3% lost

957952/100000 = 95.7952%, >4% lost

After look around in Google, I found the Wireshark is a kind of upgraded version of ethereal, right? Is it possible to capture all packets as I want?

Please help me out, thanks in advance.

Winter Song.