Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Apple Mac OS X crash on start

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 20:17:36 -0700

On May 30, 2007, at 2:59 PM, Mark Boltz wrote:

configure --without-libjpeg --without-libpng --without-libtiff for rest:

Wireshark seemed to compile cleanly, but when I go to start it under X11 now, it loads the splash for init dissectors, and then crashed with:

mboltz$ wireshark

(wireshark:12581): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file: assertion `filename != NULL' failed

(wireshark:12581): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Bus error

Any ideas?

Well, this one finally bit me, and the problem appears to be that "-- without-libpng" is a bad idea, at least with later versions of GTK+.

It turned out that one of the GTK+ test programs crashed, too, so it's a GTK+ problem.

Building and installing libpng, and then building GTK+ with libpng (but still without libjpeg and libtiff), gave me a GTK+ test program that didn't crash on startup. Building Wireshark with that version of libpng gave me a Wireshark that didn't crash on startup.

(I *suspect* the problem is that a whole bunch of images it uses for toolbars, etc. are PNGs, and that the image-caching stuff that showed up in later versions of GTK+ assumes GTK+ was built with libpng and crashes if it doesn't.)