Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] How to get Average RTT

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:37:34 -0500

You can get a graphing of maximum, average and minimum RTT, if you use the
IO Graph function with Ethereal (the timings are inaccurate in Wireshark).
You need to use the "Y: Axis/Unit/Advanced" selection and select the AVG(*)
option in the "Calc:" column.
Fill in with this Calc value:

 tcp.analysis.ack_rtt

This will display the average RTT for all TCP sessions in the trace.

This is extremely valuable for calculating the RTT for a particular site,
as you can additionally add a filter in the "Filter:" column for a remote
subnet.
You can also compare the RTT's for different components of your QOS by
setting up 2 graphs, with each being filtered on an appropriate value for
each group in your QOS.
We use it for comparing Citrix RTT's vs. print traffic RTT's, and expect to
see a fairly consistent value for Citrix (high priority) and possibly
radical differences in print (low priority). If the high priority traffic
starts having large swings in RTT values, you are probably undervalued in
the QOS queue settings for this high-priority traffic or the link is
overloaded by high-priority traffic.

It is important to note that, at this time, the Wireshark computations for
the IO Graph RTT's are NOT accurate. You must go back and use Ethereal (I
am using 0.10.14)

Ed Staszko
Network Analyst
Mutual of Omaha

             "Marc Glenn"
             <mjamon@xxxxxxxx.
             co.jp>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  "Community support list for
             wireshark-users-b         Wireshark"
             ounces@wireshark.         <wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             org                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
             07/18/2007 12:12          Re: [Wireshark-users] How to get
             AM                        Average RTT

             Please respond to
                "Community
             support list for