Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Tons of ARP packets...?

From: IchBin <weconsultants@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:55:57 -0400

Sake Blok wrote:
IchBin wrote:
The only problem I have is this just started last week. I have had this connection since sometime in April. Why would it just now start to rear it's head?

What exactly do you mean by "this" in the sentence "this just started last week"? Do you mean the very slow network connection? Or do you
mean the abundant amount of arp-requests? Or do you mean the DNS
requests?

The 'this' is the ARP packets. The slow connection is because of the HUB management. At least that is what one of the Supervisors for support at Comcast mentioned. It is suppose to improve but I am not holding my breath based on my 'Comcast' experience..

Many times when troubleshooting a problem, you see start to make
traces at that time, having no base-line traces from a good
working situation. The amount of arp-packets might be perfectly
normal for this type of connection.

This is all nice and true but this is my home PC. When I was the Manager\Systems programmer of VM Operating systems for Campbell Soup Company I did have benchmarks for these situations. It just happen to be on mainframes.

I do not have benchmarks of my port activities on my home PC. I have never had this problem. I only noticed the extra traffic because my cable modem light is just about solidly on all the time. I started to look at the problem from there. Again I am a programmer not a network person per say.

Also the DNS-requests
might have nothing to do with the problems you are experiencing
although they might indeed point to some other problem on this
PC.

Could you compare these traces to one that was made before you
started to experience problems?

Cheers,

Sake