Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Tons of ARP packets...?

From: "ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 22:01:57 +0000
If you look at the arp packets they all come from the mac address of
your upstream router.

I would be surprised if you can actually see any traffic originating
from any of the other hosts connected to your segment
since cable usually uses two different modulated channels, one
downstream frequency and a different upstream frequencey.
The cable modem can only send on the upstream frequency and only
receive on the downstream frequency.
Thus you can not capture what others are sending.

I am not sure the amount of arp packets are an issue. In my experience
it is common that the cable upstream routers do send these massive
amounts of arp packets.
Its just what they do   or what their default config is.