Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Tons of ARP packets...?

From: IchBin <weconsultants@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:28:22 -0400
Hello all, this is my first post here. I am not a network person and
this is why I a posting here. Wireshark is running without any problems
but having a hard time understanding why I am being bombarded with ARP
packets.

The end of last week I started to be bombarded with ARP packets. I have
a Comcast Internet Cable connection. I have a slow 3.5MB/sec connection.
I'm suppose to get up to 6mb/sec but that is another story by it's self.

I am running on Windows XP SP2 and current on all updates. The cable
lite on my modem, for displaying traffic, is just about solidly lit as
if downloading a large file all the time. I traced about 10 seconds with
Wireshark and found that three fourths of the traffic are ARP packets.

My concern is the bandwidth that it must be eating up. I initially
thought that it was a hardware problem on Comcast's network. I called
them and they checked my connection and said all is OK. They did not see
this traffic. On my PC the funny thing is that if I sign in to another
window's XP SP admin user the cable modem lite acts normal again and I
do not see the ARP traffic.

Can any one give me some insight or directions on resolving this
problem. It has to be a problem. I have never seen traffic like this on
any modem I have ever used. Is this the providers problem or my problem
that I could resolve.

I have attached a 10 trace dump to this message. Here is some of my
Network connection information:

Physical Address: 00-00-88-24-2B-BA
IP Address:       69.139.93.171
Subnet Mask:      255.255.255.0
Default Gateway:  69.139.93.1
DHCP Server:      68.87.64.10
DNS Servers:      68.87.64.146, 68.87.75.194

--
Thanks in Advance...                           http://weconsulting.org
IchBin, Philadelphia, Pa, USA http://ichbinquotations.weconsulting.org