Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Lua compile problems

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 18:28:37 +0200
Hi,

You've forced the configure script into thinking it can build with Lua support. It can't until you install a package that provides liblua5.1-dev . In short: you need the Lua development package in order to build applications with Lua interpreter.

Thanx,
Jaap

Piers Kittel wrote:
Guy,

Thanks so much for your quick reply!

Lua is an interpretive language with an interpreter that's somewhat compact and embeddable. Wireshark can be built with Lua support - the Windows version we distribute is, I think, and other binary versions (various Linux and BSD packages, etc.) might be built with it either.

Hmm, the version I had with my distro (Debian Etch) was 0.99.4 but still didn't have Lua built in.  So I downloaded the latest version from the website, 0.99.6, and configured it with Lua support.  Here's the command I used:

piers@akane:~/src/wireshark-0.99.6$ ./configure --with-lua=/usr/include/lua5.1/

Then the final result was:

The Wireshark package has been configured with the following options.
                    Build wireshark : yes
                       Build tshark : yes
                     Build capinfos : yes
                      Build editcap : yes
                      Build dumpcap : yes
                     Build mergecap : yes
                    Build text2pcap : yes
                      Build idl2wrs : yes
                      Build randpkt : yes
                       Build dftest : yes

                     Install setuid : no
                        Use plugins : yes
                   Build lua plugin : yes
                   Build rtp_player : no
                Use GTK+ v2 library : yes
                        Use threads : no
             Build profile binaries : no
                   Use pcap library : yes
                   Use zlib library : yes
                   Use pcre library : no
               Use kerberos library : no
               Use GNU ADNS library : no
             Use GNU crypto library : no
             Use SSL crypto library : no
           Use IPv6 name resolution : yes
               Use Net-SNMP library : no
                 Use gnutls library : no

But when I started off the compile, and it got to the Lua module, it exited fatally with the error snippet:

In file included from ./wslua_tvb.c:31:
./wslua.h:40:17: error: lua.h: No such file or directory
./wslua.h:41:20: error: lualib.h: No such file or directory
./wslua.h:42:21: error: lauxlib.h: No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong and how do I fix this please?

Thanks very much for your time in advance!

Regards - Piers