Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Question on Decoding packet with insertedproprietary heade

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:32:49 -0700
Small, James wrote:

Anyway, could be a useful Wireshark feature - if you agree let me know
and I'll put it on the wish list.

What would be nice would be a language to describe a packet format and an interpreter for the language, so that a non-programmer could add a dissector for simpler protocols. Even if you just know that there's a 34-byte header, and don't know its contents, you could describe the header as a 34-byte opaque blob.